Monday, May 10, 2010

Digital Citizenship and Cybersafety

Just joined this wiki http://ictpd-digital-citizenship-and-cybersafety.wikispaces.com/ .  I am very excited to be participating in a cybersafety and digital citizenship project as this has been something I have been interested in for a while.  I have looked into Super Clubs Plus and am keen to see what else I can investigate to increase my knowledge and understanding of this very important aspect of eLearning.

When I visited the wiki I watched a couple of youtube clips, the first of which I was familiar with having shared this with the staff at our school last week during a staff meeting. 



The other one, however, I had not seen and was very interested in.


The idea of myself as a Digital Immigrant speaking digital as a 2nd language versus my children as digital 1st language learners worries me, however, I was slightly reassured after watching the clip when Jukes said that the mind can re-wire and you can learn new things!  There's hope for me yet.  Jukes recommends reading: Steven Johnson's book 'Everything bad is good for you' - which, according to Jukes, says children playing sophisticated online games learn to take risks, deal with failure, become motivated and confident and have high expectations of themselves. He then goes on to recommend 'A Whole New Mind' by Daniel Pink. I am now adding another blog to my list of subscriptions in Google Reader http://www.committedsardine.com/blog.cfm .
I also was interested in the Educational Origami Wiki which had further information and Patrick Woessner's Presentations wiki on digital citizenship which I will have to spend some time exploring.

1 comment:

Belinda said...

I have Daniel Pink's Whole New Mind and his new book Drive if you want to borrow them! Of course you will need to give me back my LA with Kids book sometime first ....