Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Webinar today with Sir Ken Robinson

Belinda and I participated in a webinar today organised through www.ted.com/ with Sir Ken Robinson who is a creativity expert who advocates the need for a shift in education. I vaguely remembered watching his talk about how schools kill creativity when I first attended L@S in 2008. It was a really interesting experience listening to him speaking today about his new book The Element and then watching people putting their hand up digitally to ask him questions or chatting with the other people who were participating in the session. There were is excess of 500 people logged on. In the book he explores the importance of following your passions in life to achieve success. I have just watched the clip from 2006 again to refresh my memory and agree with the following quote: 'If you're not prepared to be wrong you'll never be original' (Ken Robinson) and many children become afraid to be wrong when actually we learn really well from our mistakes. 'All children are born artists but the problem is to remain an artist as we grow up' (Picasso) and Ken Robinson said he passionately believed creativity is educated out of people as they get older.


1 comment:

Belinda said...

That 2006 clip would have to be my all time favourite. He is such a fabulous speaker, really low tech but a what a storyteller! It was great to see him in the webinar today but I really want to go back and watch the recording so I can listen to the bits we missed. I'm register for another next week with Daniel Pink talking about his latest book 'Drive'. Check it out!